Business Development Director – Engineering Services
Global Engineering and Construction Firm – Houston, TX
Our Client is seeking a Director of Business Development (BD Director) to provide strategic and collaborative leadership to help grow our Engineering Services business and EPC projects. Focused on the Gulf Coast US region, the BD Director will be responsible for growth and development of client relationships and direct sales in industrial and energy markets including refining, chemical, power, energy transition and other manufacturing sectors. The Director of Business Development will report to the Senior Vice President of Engineering Business Development. The position requires direct customer engagement and leadership across the complete sales cycle (prospect identification through closing) for engineering services agreements and new business including studies, front-end project development, and detailed engineering for capital and expense projects; and EPC projects with assigned customer accounts. The BD Director will also be responsible for client relationship management and account planning responsibilities. The BD Director will work out of Our Client’s Engineering office in Houston, Texas.
- Build effective, long term client relationships and grow engineering-driven sales revenue with clients in the Gulf Coast Region.
- Establish effective business contacts with prospective clients and professional trade organizations to promote capabilities and services
- Sell effectively using virtual meeting platforms and in-person, traveling to client sites, regional offices and industrial facilities
- Prepare and deliver presentations to prospective clients regarding our experience and capabilities
- Provide leadership across the sales cycle, from opportunity identification through proposal submittal
- Regularly meet with project managers, client account managers and site representatives to identify business and relationship forging opportunities
- Communicate effectively and frequently with teammates within Engineering and across other Business Groups using call reports, email, virtual chat applications and phone
- Identify strategies to improve Engineering’s competitive, financial and strategic positioning
- Research industry trends and provide senior management with associated business development potential
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four- year accredited college or university
- 10+ years' successful, relevant industry experience, including at least five years of experience selling engineering services and/or client account management
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the engineering and construction services environment for clients in target industrial sectors
- Strategic thinker, capable of engaging clients at multiple levels including decision-makers in exploratory and consultative conversations to identify distinctive value and solutions to their engineering and project needs
- Relationship driven; effective at selling professional services and motivated to develop relationships with new clients and business partners
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to work well with others in a collaborative, transparent, teamwork-oriented culture
- Experience with contracts and contract negotiation
- Comfortable and effective interacting with clients and suppliers at industry events and building good rapport and professional relationships
- Exceptional listener with excellent communication and presentation skills
- Able to travel frequently, working effectively away from the office (50% travel or more)
- Proficient in Microsoft office tools including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams
- BS Chemical or Mechanical Engineering preferred; other engineering, technical or business degrees considered if coupled with a fundamental technical understanding of the engineering services business and relevant work experience
- Experience working as an engineer or project manager on projects with clients in the food & beverage, pharmaceuticals, oil refining, chemical, petrochemical, power or other industrial/manufacturing sectors
- The ideal candidate would also have the potential for expanded Business Development roles selling additional industrial services including turnarounds, general mechanical maintenance, capital projects and construction
- Experience selling capital EPC projects, construction services, turnarounds or maintenance
- Employee will be required to communicate in person, via telephone, video conferencing apps, email, use of arm/hand steadiness, manual dexterity, finger dexterity, multi-limb coordination, oral expression, and comprehension. May be required to lift, carry and move objects safely. Position may include visits to construction sites and industrial facilities requiring mobility (on ground and at heights) and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hardhat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety vests, gloves and work boots.
- Work is primarily in a general office setting, but will periodically work in multiple environments including an office, hotel while traveling or building on an industrial site. On construction/industrial sites, noise levels will be moderate to high. Sites may contain the following: light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools, people standing, walking, sitting, signaling, and talking. Noise levels vary and may include bells, whistles, and alarms.
The above description covers the fundamental responsibilities of the Business Development Director position. It shall not be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day.